Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas holiday plans....

I only realised this week that my Christmas holidays have already started....back home I would be enjoying the pre-festive excitement that doesn't fail to disapoint every year. At my age, its pretty embarrasing that this will be my first Christmas away from my family. I am contemplating this, but feel, somehow, that there are other important things going on where I am just now, important enough for me to change my focus for at least this year.

Kate and I are still working this week, and today, as I tried to conceal my frustration at a couple of nurses who ignored my presence and my requirement for help with a few jobs so that I could do other things (really, I must learn to not get so worked up), I began to think that going away next week for a wee break was quite a nice thing to look forward to.

I thought I'd briefly share the 2-week plan:

This saturday (20/12/08) we will travel to Liwonde National Park, south of the bottom of Lake Malawi. We will camp there for 4 mights and hopwfully play I spy with elephants, hippos, zebras, and crocs, as well as a few other beauties. Then we will move north to Cape Maclear for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. There are palm trees and white sand, and probably no turkey or Christmas pudding. That's fine with me. My big brother spent Christmas here in the 1980s, will be fun to think of m in the same place. On boxing day we will hopefully catch the Lake Malawi ferry to Likoma Island, close to Mozambique but belongs to Malawi. We'll spend a night on the ferry. We will spend 4 nights on Likoma Island, then take the ferry back to Cape Maclear for New Years Eve and Day. Then its back to Lilongwe. I will continue to work in the medical department for another two weeks after Christmas, then need to consider the plan from there. In the pipeline is 2-3 weeks of Obstetrics, 3 weeks in the childrens ward here in Lilongwe, and perhaps 3 weeks in the childrens unit in Blantyre with a well-known Professor of paediatric A&E medicine. Its all exciting, and tiring at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. Hey sweets, sounds like excellent xmas plans!! Hope it all goes well, and looking forward to hear how it all went :)
    We had english xmas this year, spend christmas day with jon&victoria's family in dorset, so we had all the joys of turkey, xmas pudding with brandy butter and lovely wine&sparling bubbles :) Had a lovely time, but as you say, not the same as being with family. Hope all is well,
    lots of love, anne&joachim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my love, happy christmas and new year and all that. Sounds like an awesome holiday you have been having - hope it all worked out and you had a great time. I also had my first christmas without my mummy, who deserted me to go on holiday... boo! But we were well looked after by Nick's family in Scotland, then came back to Manchester for a quiet Hogmanay dinner party with a few friends. Was really very nice. I go back to school on Monday to start ortho/rheum for 4 weeks, then 4 weeks psych and then 4 weeks neuro - BORING. snore snore snore... bring back O&G and paeds.
    ANyway, i'm loving your posts - tell us more,
    love j

    ReplyDelete